To receive unemployment benefits after losing your job through no fault of your own, you must first file a claim with our Employment Security Division. Remember, the fastest and most efficient way to file an unemployment claim is online. You do not need to visit an NCWorks Career Center for that purpose.
- This page on the Employment Security website tells you what information you should have on hand, as you begin the application process.
- We'll thank you now for your patience, if you end up having to wait to for an answer from our telephone call center or find the application website slow.
North Carolina requires that you participate in reemployment programs in order to continue receiving financial assistance from the unemployment insurance program. To help you find work, our Division of Workforce Solutions offers the Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment program through our NCWorks Career Centers.
Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment
The Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment (RESEA) program delivers regularly scheduled case management services when you're looking for work. In this program, local staff provide the following services:
- Information on careers and the labor market
- An assessment and an eligibility review
- Help with developing a reemployment plan
- Referrals to at least two reemployment-related services, such as workshops or training opportunities
- An orientation to reemployment services
Enrollment in the program can last up to 10 weeks.
During the initial visit, you may be required to report in-person to an NCWorks Career Center (as centers have modified operations in response to COVID-19, this appointment can be conducted over the phone); subsequent appointments may be conducted by telephone or e-mail. If you do not report for your scheduled appointment, your benefits may be affected.
How to Participate
Claimants are selected to participate in the Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment. For more information, contact your local NCWorks Career Center, or call 984-236-4197.