Develop older buildings in your community into assets to attract new or expanding businesses with the state's Building Reuse Program. This program provides grants to local governments, using three categories of funding for:
- The renovation of vacant buildings
- The renovation or expansion of a building occupied by an existing North Carolina company wishing to expand in their current location
- The renovation, expansion or construction of health care entities that will lead to the creation of new, full-time jobs.
Vacant Building Category
- Grants are available to support the renovation of vacant buildings. The building must be vacant for at least three months prior to application deadlines.
Existing Building Category - Eligible Projects
- Grants are available to support the renovation or expansion of buildings occupied by a company operating in the state of North Carolina for at least 12 months. Companies must also meet the weekly wage standard, provide at least 50% benefits to employees and be represented on the Priority Industry Table.
Rural Health Category - Eligible Projects
- Grants are available to support the renovation, expansion or construction of health care entities. The health care entity must be licensed by the State of North Carolina. Eligible applicants are units of local government located in either a Tier 1 or Tier 2 county, or a rural census tract in a Tier 3 county. More on the state's Tier system is available elsewhere on our site.
- In Tier 1 or Tier 2 counties, priority will be given to towns or communities with populations less than 5,000.
- As prescribed in N.C.G.S. 143B-472.127(a)(2), a rural census tract is an area having a population density of less than 500 people per square mile according to the most recent decennial federal census. A map of North Carolina's Rural Census Tracts located in our Tier 3 counties is available.
- The program requires a cash match equal to the grant request amount. The local government must contribute at least 5% of the cash match. The cash match shall come from local resources and may not be derived from other State or federal grant funds.
Building Reuse Program
Rural Economic Development Division
NC Department of Commerce
4346 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4346
301 North Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27601